Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cranberry Twists

Good morning! I am taking a poll this morning, is there anyone out there who is sick of winter? Me too. After another 8 inches yesterday, terrible traffic and more record cold temperatures I feel as if I am in the land of perpetual winter. When is it ever going to end? I know I am whining yet again but I know I am not alone.



To combat the winter blues I made these scrumptious Cranberry Twists. I think they are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea as you start your day or as a light dessert at the end of the day.




The dough needs to sit overnight so you have to make them the day before you want to eat them, other than that they are easy and delicious. The tart cranberries, sweet honey, hint of citrus and the nuttiness of the pecans remind me of the holidays.




Cranberry Chocolate Twists

Ingredients: Dough

1 cup milk
43/4 all-purpose flour divided
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon slat
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup of cold butter 
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup of warm water(105-110 degrees F)
2 eggs beaten 


Scald the milk, then cool to lukewarm. Combine 41/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel. Cut in the butter by hand or in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Dissolve yeast in water add to flour mixture. Stir in the milk and eggs to form a dough. Add up to 1/4 cup more flour if the dough is too sticky. Cover bowl tightly, refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. 

Preheat oven to 375 F. Prepare the Cranberry Filling, divide dough in half. Roll out one half to an 11 x 15 inch rectangle. Spread with half of the filling. Fold dough lengthwise to cover filling. Cut into 1 inch wide strips. Twist each strip, pinching the ends to seal, place on greased cookies sheet, shape each piece to desired shape. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes o until light brown. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with Glaze.

Cranberry Filling

11/2 cups finely chopped cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped chocolate
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup honey
11/2 teaspoon grated orange peel.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, sugar, pecans, honey and orange peel. Bring t boil;cook for about 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken as it cools, then add the chopped chocolate. 

Powdered Sugar Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk

Whisk together sugar and milk until smooth. Add more milk if thinner consistency is desired.





As the storm heads East I wish you a wonderful day, hopefully filled with sun and no snow!

Enjoy!

Linking to :
Savvy Southern Style

9 comments:

  1. I was off from school yesterday due to Presidents' Day and did it EVER SNOW! I stayed in of course, but had to go out an shovel. OH DEAR I've never seen this much snow in my 29 years away from sunny California!!!!!!!!!!

    I really wish we could ship this snow (water) over to our friends in California where there is such a bad drought! Let's hang on and wait for the joy of spring my friend. Great looking recipe! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, These look so good although I shy away from making things with yeast. ;) Maybe I'll give it a try. Enjoy your week! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually loving the winter, but I'm silly that way.

    Those twists look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Elizabeth how are you hope all is well I sure don't miss the weather Becky's but of course I was in a be nice to get home too ! These look beyond yummy I'm so glad I can't eat one I doubt I would be able to stop At just one

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! Anything with that icing s ok with me. And I can even make it ;)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look scrumptious, Elizabeth! I will whine right along with you about this darn weather - we traded snow for fog and drizzle today and the big thaw. What a mess! Just think ahead a few months when all we will be talking about is how hot it is!! Hope you are having a fabulous day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so delicious, dear Elizabeth....perfect sweet comfort for this weather. Thank you for generously sharing the recipes!
    I, too, wish you sunshine, my friend....we had a two day thaw, but tomorrow another storm and freezing temps...we are going to appreciate Spring so much! ;)
    Stay warm, dear one...
    Hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...