Thursday, June 26, 2014

Camp Wandawega: An Midwest Summer Camp

Good morning! I hope that your week is going well. Mine is progessing along, although I must admit I am ready for the weekend. I am still a little sore from digging rocks and I want to get out in the water on my paddle board.


Long, sultry summer days always reminds me of camp. Did you go away to camp when you were young? I went a few times, a horse riding camp, a church camp, a fabulous camp where we swam, collected bug, sand and rock samples, canoed and learned to cook.




In addition to hiking and sitting around the campfire toasting marshmallows we sang songs, made new friends and just enjoyed the simple things in life.




Although I have not been to camp is years I was recently reminded of my outings by a wonderful article in Midwest Living magazine called We Bought a Camp! It chronicles the story of David Hernandez and Theresa Surratt, a Chicago couple who purchased a derelict Wisconsin summer camp called Wandawega.






What I love most about the camp, in addition to its Wisconsin location is that David and Theresa have left it as an old fashioned summer camp. Instead of tearing everything down and starting over they have refurbished the camp with flea market finds, finds from the property, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears. They have recreated the camps of my youth.





Of course this sort of camp is not for everyone, there is no heat or air conditioning, there are walks to the showers, bugs, no room service or Internet service.





Basically a return to a simpler and more relaxing time. I think this would be a wonderful place for a family reunion, a weekend getaway with my husband or perhaps a ladies weekend.


 All photos from Midwest Living Magazine


A place to regroup, reconnect and relax! What do you think? Did you enjoy camp as a child? Would you enjoy recapturing some of those memories? I personally love to hear people tell stories so if you would like to share you camp adventures, I am all ears.

I hope that you have a beautiful summer day.


Note: If you would like information about renting a cabin, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Good old summer camp! Mosquitos, camp fires, OK food and a sense of freedom - ah...the good old days! My friend, keep working because you will love the results of your hard work! I hope to see pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a lot of fun to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, summer camp!! It's funny because when I was young, I didn't appreciate it. Now I'd love to go to summer camp....get away from work and enjoy nature :) Happy summer, Elizabeth! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have flipped out over the Antlers, what a great room. I love
    a ROCK fire place. What fun to have a Summer camp to go to.
    Keep us posted on the rest of the Summer.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like SO much fun, even though I have never considered myself much of a camp...I think I could go for some "glamping"! Hope you have a fantastic weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer camp was such a big part of my summer I returned as a councilor as a college student. Your post brought back wonderful memories. Enjoy your weekend. I am still adjusting to being home after four weeks away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...