Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookie Bars

Good morning! I hope that you had a wonderful weekend! I did, but then again I rarely have a bad one. Once again we were blessed with beautiful sunny days and perfect Spring weather. Which was wonderful because in a few short weeks you will hear me complain about the steamy, hot weather.




This weekend we spent a lot of our time outside paddle boarding, walking with the pups, relaxing on the porch and looking at plants and shrubs for our new landscaping. All in all a great weekend.




As I always do on the weekend or just before I bake, and this weekend was no exception. If you are a fan of caramel, sea salt and dark chocolate than you are going to love these cookie bars. I found the recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and have been saving it to make for when I have a guest or two that I can give them too so that I did not consume the entire pan myself.




Chocolate Chip Salted Carmel Cookie Bars

21/8 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
12 tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
10 ounces of caramel candy, unwrapped
3 tablespoons heavy cream

Sea salt for garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325. Prepare an 11 x 7 pan (2 quart baking dish) with baking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, wisk together the flour, salt and baking soda, set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and the melted, cooled butter, mix until combined. Then add the egg, the egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Then STIR in the chocolate chips.

In a microwave safe bowl combine the heavy cream and the caramels, heat on high, stirring every 20 seconds until melted. Could take up to 2 minutes.

Divide the cookie dough in half, spread half in the prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula. Spread the cookie dough with the hot caramel and then place the other 



These bars are chocolaty, and sweet, and yet salty. The sea salt compliments the chocolate and caramel and although it may seem a strange combination, it all works.

These may be my new "go to" treats to take to picnics, parties and barbeque's, not only because they are easy but also because everyone that has tried them LOVES them.




Tell me, what did you do this weekend? Did you make anything tasty that you want to share the recipe?


I hope that you have a great day!




6 comments:

  1. Good morning sweet friend. I too had a week of relaxing on the porch after work and I read to my heart's content. Rain started yesterday, making everything so green and lush and dreams of planting and watching everything grow are in my mind. So glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend with your love...bless you! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, these look absolutely divine!!! I am bookmarking this for when my kids are home for the 4th of July. Have a fabulous week, my dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's so early in the morning and this triggered
    my sweet tooth, looks soooo yummy.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to reach through the screen and gooble that cookie!!! Great score on that recipe! Today was my boys last day of school....so we will definitely be making cookies this week.

    xoxo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...