Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Rick Bayless Yucatan Spiced Chicken



Good morning! How was your weekend? Mine was fabulous, busy but fabulous! We are having a huge landscape project done this summer and my husband and I decided to "pitch in" and help move about 18 wheel barrels of rock, but before we could move the rock we had to help dig it out of all of the beds. It was a lot like I imagine potato farming to be.


Image Here

In addition to that we did manage to find the time to try a recipe from one of our favorite chef's, Rick Bayless called Yucatan Spiced Chicken. This recipe is delicious, the chicken is moist and tender with hints of cinnamon and cloves. It is perfect served with vine ripened tomatoes, tender asparagus and saffron rice. I am sorry that the photo is of such poor quality but all I had at hand was my cell phone.






Yucatan Spiced Chicken Recipe
Recipe from Rick Bayless


Ingredients:

Marinade:

1 head of garlic broken into individual pieces
1/3 cup of olive oil
6 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
pinch of ground cloves
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt


4 chicken breast halves bone in
1 cup of chicken broth
2 medium ripe tomatoes
1 lb. fresh asparagus steamed

Cut a slit into the side of each garlic clove and then place in a microwaveable bowl covered with plastic wrap. Cook for 30 seconds, then cool and remove the skins. One at a time drop garlic cloves into a food processor and make sure each is chopped before adding another. Then add the remaining marinade ingredients and process until smooth.

Scrape 1/2 the marinade into a medium bowl, and add the chicken, toss to coat evenly.

The other 1/2 of the marinade pour into a small saucepan and add the chicken broth. Set aside.

Heat your grill to medium-hot and cook chicken skin side down until richly browned. Usually 5-6 minutes on each side. Make sure to cook the chicken until completely tender at the bone. The juices will run clear when a for pierces the thickest part. If breast are large cook about 10 minutes longer.

While the chicken is cooking bring the broth/marinade mixture to a boil. Arrange the vegetables on the plate and drizzled with a bit of the broth mixture. Then top with chicken and add more broth. Serve and enjoy.

NOTE: Times are approximate, all grills are different. You may have a gas grill, I may use charcoal. 


I hope that you try this chicken recipe. I realize it is a departure from my usual sweet treats but I am trying to branch out this summer. If you need a sweet fix, click HERE to see the latest chocolate treats I have been making on my other blog, Once Upon a Chocolate Life.

Enjoy your day!!!

5 comments:

  1. That looks really good, Elizabeth...we eat a lot of chicken so I am always looking for new recipes and this looks like a good one - Thanks!! Have a wonderful week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Elizabeth. Your gardening project sounds like a lot of hard work and deserving of a good meal.
    Hope your week is special
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMALISH! And....working together on such a project is good for the soul. We just had a gentleman ring our doorbell late yesterday afternoon just to tell us how beautiful our gardens are. I proudly told him, "My husband and I did it all, TOGETHER."

    Much love my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Elizabeth, my muscles are aching for you. Rick Bayless is one of my favorite chefs. This is something that would be a big hit at my house. I hope you will share your landscaping when it is complete.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...