Saturday, August 2, 2014

Red Rocks Colorado



 Good morning! I hope your week is great! I am enjoying an extended break while my parents are here but I thought I would share just a few photos from my trip last week to Colorado. 

Among the many things we did was to visit the famous Red Rocks amphitheatre? Are you familiar with it?



It is the only naturally occurring, acoustically perfect amphitheatre in the world and my friends it is stunning! 

Here are a few other fun facts:

* Surrounding Red Rock theatre are 868 acres of deer, dinosaurs, pines, prairies and other geological wonders.

* It is 6,450 ft above sea level

* The first performance in the park was in 1906!

* The actual Red Rocks theater took 12 years to build and its first concert was in 1941.





* The theater seats 9, 525

* "Ship Rock" and Creation Rock the monoliths that surround the theater are taller than Niagara Falls. 

* Dinosaur tracks located within the walls tell the story of the Jurassic Period 160 million years ago!





 * Red Rocks, originally known as The Garden of Angels has hosted everyone from Sting, to Jimmy Buffet, to U2, John Denver, opera singers and so many more musical talents.

* In addition to musical acts, movies are filmed here and each year a sunrise Easter service is held. 

* The theater hosts guests on a daily basis to do yoga, run the steps, exercise and more. 





 I did not do any yoga or running of the stairs but I did take in the spectacular view, did  a little people watching and just enjoyed the park. Red Rocks was once considered one of the Seven Wonders of the World, and honestly it still should be in my opinion. 










I hope that you enjoyed the photos and that perhaps it is a little incentive to visit this truly beautiful and inspirational spot. Not only does it make one appreciate nature and its beauty, it also is a reminder that although we are considered a young country there is a whole lot to see in the "good old USA."


ALL PHOTOS taken by me Pine Cones and Acorns


I hope you have a great day!




9 comments:

  1. when I saw the seats, all I thought was (OH my legs),
    Now that I am old I want to go back to Italy, but remember all the stairs.
    It's hell to get old. Live it up while you can, yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely job you did on these pictures. You were practically in my back yard. They hold Easter sunrise services here every year and it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Rocks is SO cool..I would love to see a concert there! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting post!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pictures are great!!! Never been to Colorado but after this post, would love to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, I agree with you! There is so much to see in our country. I have been traveling a lot this summer in California. We went to Napa, Ojai and Santa Barbara. It was so nice to not have to get on a plane! Love your photos and learning about this part of the country. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the years I spent in Colorado and I never had the chance to visit. Shame on me! Beautiful trip, hope there's more :-)
    Enjoy your weekend Elizabeth.
    Di
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Elizabeth, the red rocks are amazing! Thank you for showing them - I'd never been to that part of Colorado or seen them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...