Saturday, November 15, 2014

Friday Favorites from Ciao Dominica, 5th and State, Iowa Girl Eats and More

Good morning! Have you been hit by the wave of freezing temps yet? Ours arrived yesterday and honestly, it was shocking. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt the afternoon before and now this morning I will be bundled in a parka looking like a big puffy marshmallow and having a cup of cocoa to warm up.




I am not ready for Winter, are you? But I guess it is a good reason to stay home and get some indoor things finished before my guests start arriving for the Thanksgiving festivities. 


Image Ciao Dominica


This week my attention was captured by the stunning photos and beauty of the English Countryside, in Cornwall and Devon. Sunday at Ciao Dominica spent her anniversary exploring, shopping, reading and relaxing and with her posts I felt as if I were there too. 




Image Ciao Doninica


Debra at 5th and State is also traveling in the UK this week and her photos of Remembrance Day and the stunning photos of the red poppy installation, " Blood Swept Land and Seas of Red by British artist Paul Cummins are fabulous. Have you heard about the exhibit? Paul Cummins created  888, 246 handmade ceramic poppies, one to represent each soldier lost in WW I and they surround the Tower of London. I would love to have seen it is person as I am sure that it is incredible. For more information, click HERE.
The holidays are fast approaching and although I have my menu planned I am always looking for a few great appetizer ideas for drop in guests or parties. A cheese plate a perfect and easy idea. This week, Iowa Girl Eats posted a great "how-to" of how to assemble a beautiful platter using items from your grocery store, no specialty shops needed, in 10 minutes. It cannot get any easier than that!


Image Tidy Mom


Holiday entertaining should be all about your guests, so an easy and delicious cocktail is always welcome. Tidy Mom made German mulled wine that looks and tastes delicious. This drink always brings back memories of Christmas Eve at my grandparents, they always has a large pot of mulled wine simmering on the stove.

I always like learning new things and I thought this post, How to Make Your Life Better By Sending 5 Emails was interesting.

If you are a Netflix fan, Emily at Cupcakes and Cashmere posted the 10 Best Documentaries on Netflix.. If you are going to be shut in this weekend to flee from the cold you might find something of interest.

I hope that whatever you do this weekend you stay safe and enjoy it!




5 comments:

  1. I have seen the red poppy installation at the Tower not only in the news, but also in a number of blogs from British residents in the last few weeks. It looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get sick of seeing a great cheese plate. This one looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that cheese and fruit plate from Girl Eats!! Yum.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so not ready for winter! the abrupt changes in weather are so disorienting.I've heard about the poppie exhibit, it's truly amazing. A great reminder of the cost of war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth, I hope you had a wonderful birthday! I love the idea of random acts of kindness and that you baked cakes for others. My birthday is next week and I think I am going to follow your lead! And, of course, I always love your Friday links! Hope you have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...