Thursday, January 15, 2015

Fitbit Flex Recommendation and Review

Good morning! I hope you are having a great week so far. I know that many have made resolutions for the new year to eat better and to get to the gym. I would like to suggest one small change to your life to help you accomplish your goal. A fitness tracker!



Image from Fitbit



Although I love yoga and working out, I have to be honest, I am lazy. I don't like to actually have to get in the car to go to the gym or the studio. I like to workout at home on my own time schedule. In the past I have had weights, an elliptical machine, treadmill and almost every workout tape known to man to try to accomplish this. What I have realized with age is that I like to walk, either on the treadmill or outside, its easy and relaxing. 

It is my preferred method of exercise and how I get the best results for my body and my health, both mental and physical. In fact doctors are now calling walking "the Superfood" of exercise because practically ANYONE and EVERYONE can do it, ANYWHERE! 

Although I have always walked on my treadmill or out with my dogs I was not really working out enough to loose the "last 10 pounds" I gained over the last 10 years. Do you know the ones I am talking about, the ones that creep on with old age? The ones that you continue to tell yourself will magically disappear without having to make any lifestyle changes.






Not only that, my walks with the pups or during the day were the only exercise I was getting for the most part of a day because I work from home. When you are sitting at your desk all day you do not really move, unless it is to the refrigerator or pantry.

As I refuse to stop eating cheese, sugar and all of the other yummy things in life I decided that what I needed to do was work out smarter. So in September of 2013 I got a Fitbit Flex , fitness tracker to get me off my butt and moving, as well as to keep me accountable.

I set my goal at 10,000 steps a day which is roughly 5 miles. In the interest of transparency, the first week, other than my dog walks I was shocked to learn that I was only getting about 800-1100 steps a day moving around the house.

Now all that has changed, I walk a minimum of 12,500 steps a day. My Fitbit "makes" me want to do better and to reach my goal each day. Six days a week, 12 months of the year I am either outside or on the treadmill walking, taking in nature, meditating and just enjoying my exercise. To date have walked 19,500 miles! I have also shed "the last 10 pounds" and I feel so much better!





I know there are many other fitness trackers by Nike, Garmin and several other companies. The Fitbit Flex was the one I picked because it is inconspicuous, it does not have large flashing numbers, and frankly the company has the best customer service ever! Fitbit Flex also tracks your sleep patters and allows you to set silent alarms in case you need an alarm clock. Using the app. you can track your calories, sleep, active and inactive movements as well as weight. They also offers many other fitness trackers each with numerous band options and band colors including a Tory Burch option for the Fitbit Flex.

Do you have a Fitbit, Jawbone, pedometer or any other tracker? If so do you think it has spurred you to exercise more?

What are you doing to reach your fitness goals? What is your favorite workout or fitness tip? Please share because I know we will all be interested!

Have a great day!


NOTE: This is not a sponsored post. I purchased my Fitbit and just wanted to share my find with you. My opinions are based on my experiences and are my own.






5 comments:

  1. Funny got one for my hubby and two of my sons......you reminded me to see if they are using it!!! It is all the rage and is a fabulous little invention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen them around. I tend to get my exercise from walking and swimming during the winter, and adding climbing to that come warm weather time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, We love the FitBit here. R. is actually on his third (maybe fourth) one...don't ask. It gets quite competitive here. Hoping you week is going well! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweet friend! I first tried the
    Jawbone UP, but I had two die
    on me, so gave up. Last April
    my hubby got me a Polar Loop,
    and I love it! Very similar to the
    Flex. It was especially motivating
    in the summer. If I was "short"
    my 10,000 steps, I'd take Gracie
    for an extra walk.

    Right now, I'm loving yoga and
    go to class 2+ times per week.
    I also do a spin class and a
    circuit training class, and then
    hop on the elliptical on the odd
    day here and there. It all seems
    to work and I feel pretty great : )

    Congrats on staying at a healthy
    weight. It does get more challenging
    as we get farther along the journey....

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Elizabeth,
    Congratulations on successfully reaching your goal of the last ten pounds.
    I agree with all you say about walking.
    I walk/run each morning and my goal is 4/5 miles daily, along the seashore. It sets the tone for the day and I love the meditation that accompanies a walk by the
    sea. I gave up my gym membership some years ago.
    Hope the New Year is wonderful for you
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...