Thursday, November 5, 2015

Happy Birthday My Friend, My Love, My Munchen




Today is/was Munchen's birthday, she would have been 15. Sadly on August 21st her health took a turn for the worst and I had to make a heartbreaking decision to let her go. To date, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.






For those of you who do not know, Munchen was my little girl, my companion, my friend, and my pup. I received her as a gift for Christmas from my husband and she was the best gift I have ever been given.





This little girl kept me company everyday of her life, unless I was traveling and she was not going along we spent basically 24 hours a day together. We traveled the country together by plane and on many road trips always with her sitting on my lap. 

My sweet companion kept me company on bad days and good and made the ordinary days special. We started every morning with a cup of cocoa, and by we, I mean I tried to sit and enjoy a cocoa and she licked her lips with impatience until I let her lick the cup. She loved sweets as much as me and often times we shared our favorite donut or a cereal treat. Frankly, we shared everything because she was a little beggar and I was a pushover. 

I frequently photograph my blog photos on a short table by the window, if I was not "Johnny on the spot" this little one would hop up and lick whatever I was photographing. I cannot tell you how many photo shoot desserts she enjoyed. 
 



I miss this cute face, her funny little walk,  which was more like prancing, I miss her snores, and her hugs, her snuggles and her love. 

Thank you my sweet girl for almost 15 years of unconditional love. Happy Birthday.  I will eat a piece of cake in your honor. I love you and will see you when it's time. 

For those of you who say, it's just a dog. Please read the following:





JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being 
"just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."

~Unknown Author~



For my friends who sent such wonderful cards, and messages after Munchen passed I can only say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Your kindness and words have brought me so much comfort. 




9 comments:

  1. I am completely overcome by the love you shared with this wonderful, precious little friend. You will see her again at the Rainbow Bridge. Happy Birthday, little Munchkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetie....i can feel your pain Darling ...we must let go our Iris on 31 july.....feeling so Sad now.....she was almost 16....no it is not just a dog...it is our everything!!...warm hugs from me Ria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a wannabee writer as myself, I read something like this and say, "If only I had written that!" But as a lover of animals, I DO UNDERSTAND. I've often said that I am a big chicken, I am afraid to own a pet because of the inevitable phenomenon of loss. I just can't bear it. You are brave to have loved a friend whose love is so evident, so raw, and who in some peoples' eyes, does not communicate back as a human. But that special communication makes the relationship even more brilliant, because a dog ACTS out love, and doesn't and can't say empty words. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh there you went and had me crying first thing in the morning! I am such an animal nut that I still cry over the loss of my dog Hogan and he p[assed 3 years ago. I have since adopted a dog to keep the other one company and they both keep me on my toes for sure. I just wish that animals came with a human life span! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me well up.....what a totally precious face. I can see why you miss Munchen They truly make the most wonderful companions, their love and devotion so unconditional, always so willing eager and happy to please us. I am sorry Elizabeth to lose our best friends is something we never fully get over but instead learn to cope with. Hope your memories together are comforting you.....I bet Munchen is watching over you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, these sweet angels (and, yes they are angels) could never be described as "just". I think I may have said this earlier, they are our constant. When others leave us they are with us. When we are sad they lick our tears away. When sick, hurting or exhausted, they lay with us and give us unconditional comfort. Yes, your Munchen will always be in your heart. Hugs dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Munchen. She looks like a little sweetheart. We lost our little Mitzi two years ago - she was 17. I still miss her. She too was my constant companion. Our furbabies will always hold a special place in our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this post makes me ache. Bless you dear friend for your lost. I have been where you are and my heart goes out to you. Munchen had the sweetest face. I totally believe our precious fur babies will be there in heaven to greet us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...