Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Spiced Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Good morning! I hope that you had a good weekend. I did because I was a virtual shut in, I baked, read, sat in front of the fire, wrapped Christmas gifts and decorated.  It is hard to believe that I lived in Alaska and the Midwest for half of my life and now that I have moved South I am a wimp! In my defense it has rained for 3 days and it is cold. It dropped over 30 degrees in two days.




I have Thanksgiving on my mind and I was thinking, what if you have guests that don't like traditional pumpkin and pecan pies? I cannot imagine such a person but what if you did? You could serve them this moist scrumptious  Banana Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting which I recently made in addition to your traditional treats. 




Banana Spice Cake
Recipe from Kitchen Treaty

2 cups all-purpose
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon all spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch cloves
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
11/2 cups granulated sugar
11/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs


Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
milk to get frosting to desired spreading consistency

Directions for Cake:

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray. 
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and powder, salt and all spices then set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, this will take about 2-3 minutes. Then add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Mix in the sour cream and the mashed bananas. The add the flour mixture a little at a time, beat until incorporated. 
Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the cake is golden and a tester comes out clean. 
Remove cake from the oven and cool on wire wrack until cool. 

Once cake is cooled frost with frosting and enjoy. 

Directions for Frosting:

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the softened butter and cream cheese   on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and add powdered sugar slowly. Once powdered sugar is incorporated add the vanilla and mix on medium until fluffy. Add milk until the frosting is at the consistency that you like. Frost cake and enjoy!





Of course if it is the "Fall" spices that your guests do not like you could always make a traditional banana or perhaps a chocolate cake.





This Best Ever Banana Cake  is an excellent choice. Or perhaps this scrumptious chocolate cake?


Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake


Whatever you serve I am sure that your guests will love it, after all it is not about the food, it is about being together.

Have a great week!



3 comments:

  1. Good morning Elizabeth! If I were going to your house, I'd be one of those few who DO NOT LIKE pumpkin pie! Never have.....cream cheese however, on anything is a favorite! Looks wonderful, and it sounds like your weekend was fantastic! Same here; the kids are GONE this week, but I have three days of teacher meetings and conferences today. I spent the weekend cleaning, decorating and even reading as well. How fun is this, uh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I will never lose these last 5 lbs if I keep visiting your blog! LOL Have a great week! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a similar one... it is tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...