Tuesday, December 1, 2015

NORAD: Santa Tracker Starts Today!


Good morning! How was your Thanksgiving? Mine was great! It is always great to be with my sister and her family. Although I to be honest, I ate too much, and I am still wearing my yoga pants five days later. 




Now it is on to Christmas! Are you ready to get into the Christmas mode? I am so ready, I cannot wait for the baking, shopping, wrapping, the Nutcracker, midnight mass and all of the other things that mean Christmas to me. One of the things that I love at Christmas is the NORAD Santa Tracker



Are you familiar with the Santa Tracker? It began in 1955 when a local department store misprinted a telephone number to speak to Santa and track his progress on Christmas Eve. Instead the children were calling CONAD, the predecessor to NORAD( the North American Aerospace Defense Command).
Luckily Colonel Harry Shoup was in command because he ordered that each child who called be told the exact coordinates of Santa, and to this day the tradition continues. Just in case you are wondering, this is paid for by corporate sponsors and all the phones are manned by volunteers. 





If you visit the NORAD Santa Tracker web site with your children or grandchildren you can see the countdown to Santa's visit, videos, games and much more. It really is a cute webpage and I think your little ones would like it. I know that my niece and nephew love it!

In addition to tracking Santa NORAD also supports the US troops all over the world and they provide links to all sorts of organizations that supports the troops and their families, you can see all of the links at Operation Goodwill




The holidays are an incredibly difficult time for the Armed Forces and their families, please think of them over the holidays and if you can send a card, letter or gift. I know many bloggers that have children, or family serving and I am sure they would love to know that people are thinking of them and are gratful for their service and sacrifices.  The information is provided in the links above. 

If you would like to read more about this history of NORAD, click here.

Have a great day!


NOTE: The NORAD links go live on December 1st.






5 comments:

  1. How have I missed this?! Can't wait to do with Will...we'll be watching!! Happy Monday ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information
    Passing it on for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the Santa NORAD tracking thing on television news here on Christmas Eve in recent years.

    I'm reminded of a Robot Chicken sketch where a NORAD officer gives his annual briefing on tracking Santa, and Santa ends up getting blasted out of the sky by a fighter jet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cute.....it's only 3 years older than me, and I've never HEARD OF IT! HAHAHAHHAHHA

    Well, next weekend, Santa's reindeers will be in town here, and I am going to go pet them! I am enjoying the season even more as I get older. I tell ya, everything I do is in reverse - I'm getting younger every year. HAVE FUN MY FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such wonderful memories of "tracking Santa" with my three children!! Fabulous pictures to kick off the season. Hugs to you, sweet Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...