Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Make More Mistakes Advice from Neil Gaiman

Good morning! How was your weekend? Did you relax? Or were you out and about? My husband and I are both sick, me with a cold and he with the flu so it was a very relaxing weekend at home, lots of time to read, take naps and try to rejuvenate and recuperate. 





I found plenty of time  catch up with my blog friends this weekend and while doing so I found a  quote which I loved and think you will as well. Anita from Castles, Crowns and Cottages told me about a New Year's post at The Dutchess Blog featuring a fabulous and thought provoking quote from Neil Gaiman

"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.
So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life. Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever."

Neil Gaiman





I read this quote two and then three times and it was as if I was being sent a message. So I promptly printed it out several times and put one in a frame next to my computer and mailed the other copies to friends and family that may need a little encouragement. 

In the past I loved to try new things, taking online classes, trying a new hobbie, making something new but as I have aged I have found myself getting complacent and settling in, almost a feeling of, "if I haven't done it at yet and I am now 49 I am not going to do it". 





After I read this quote my thought process changed to "hey, I'm 49, old enough to know better and young enough to try." "Who cares if I fail and can't paint a landscape, or knit a sweater, or earn another Master's, the fun is in the excitement of learning and trying new things." 

This year is my year to try new things and to make a few mistakes. After all I have several friends that branched out and tried new things and succeeded, like becoming yoga teachers, writing their first book, traveling somewhere new, earning a Doctorate; some a a bit younger than me and most are older. I guess if they can do it, I can too. 





So here is to learning and growing and to making mistakes! Let's make it our goal to get out there and explore, learn, cook, bake, garden, paint, write, or whatever takes our fancy, but let's just do it!

Have a great day!



6 comments:

  1. WELL SAID. WELL EXECUTED and another fabulous morning to be reminded that I too, at almost 58, must and will continue to learn and make HUGE mistakes. Wasn't that quote such an eye-opener? Isn't that the mantra for the year? I will have to tell you (maybe a phone call is in order?) about a new adventure at my doorstep.....whatever we both continue to pursue my friend, let's never forget these words by Neil. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this quote and what a great way to start the year! Shonda Rhimes' new book "The Year of Yes" is inspiring us to say yes to things that take us out of comfort zone - making mistakes is definitely an option. Thanks for stopping by The Buzz today, Elizabeth!
    xxoo
    C + C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote, Elizabeth... I sent it to my girls. Good luck on trying new things! Yo go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quote Elizabeth! I hope your New Year is off to a great start! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I too am 49 but only for 3 more weeks then its the big 50! I too want to try new things and try to be of service to those who need it. I cant wait to see what this year has instore for you and I wish you the courage to make mistakes on the way to something great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...