Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Caramelized Onion Goat Cheese Macaroni

Good morning! I hope that you enjoyed your weekend! It was beautiful here one day, so a walk on the beach was in order and the other was rainy and overcast so I stayed in and read a good book.




I know that this week is St.Patricks day and that we should be moving away from comfort foods and on to lighter, spring like food but I could not resist sharing this scrumptious Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Macaroni.





You may remember a few weeks back I posted about this Caramelized Onion, Ham and Cheese Quiche, I loved the combination of flavors so much I decided to try it in macaroni and it is delicious, tangy, sweet and cheesy all ant the same time!


Caramelized Onion Goat Cheese Macaroni 

Ingredients
 8 oz elbow macaroni
2 cups chèvre goat cheese
3 cups of milk
1/4 cup butter
11/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup caramelized onions

Grated cheddar for topping




Prepare macaroni or any pasta that you are using according to directions, then drain and set aside. In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and make a roux, then slowly add the milk stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until incorporated and thick. 

Pour the macaroni into a buttered casserole dish, top with caramelized onions, add the sauce and stir well. Top with grated cheese and bake on 350 for 15 minutes or warmed through. 





I hope that you have a great week!





If you need a little chocolate to start the week with a St.Patrick's day twist than try these Chocolate Guiness Stout Brownies from Once Upon A Chocolate Life they are fabulous!




9 comments:

  1. Sigh...that looks and sounds SO SO good Elizabeth! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning my dear! Lovely recipes as always! Have a lovely Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My #1 is a nut for mac and cheese. I sent her your link - I know she would love this recipe. Have a great week, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to try this - it looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made something similar recently, but instead of goat cheese I was using up the remains of a demi-roue of raclette. I forget how many kilos the thing weighed, and we have a professional heater for it, thanks to my SIL who works for a Swiss cheese giant. She provides us with a tire-sized cheese every year. It fed 20 adults, with a big chunk left over. I grated it, caramelized some onions, made some béchamel, added some diced ham and voila. Put it into aluminum pans and froze it. Took one out the other day--what a blessing it is to have a dinner all ready that you can just stick in the oven--and it was surprisingly yummy. I think the secret ingredient is the onions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made something similar recently but instead of chèvre I used leftover raclette. Most folks buy the packages of already-sliced raclette, but SIL sells cheese for a Swiss cheese giant and gets us a couple of demi-roues (together as big as a tire on my car) every winter. She also got us a professional cheese melter. It's a great party--we invite about 10 people each time, to eat melted cheese scraped onto charcuterie and potatoes. I grated the leftovers, caramelized a lot of onions, made a ton of béchamel and macaroni, mixed it all up with some diced ham and portioned it out into aluminum tins to freeze. What a blessing it has been to have a dinner that just has to be popped into the oven. And it was DELICIOUS. I credit the onions!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a tablescape of yours on Pinterest but it brought me to this post! I am glad though as this sounds delicious! I will try it and also look for the quiche recipe! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks delicious, Elizabeth! Macaroni and cheese is one of my very favorite things. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...