Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas Cards


While Valentine's cards were first sent in the 1400's it wasn't until the 1800's that the first Christmas card was sent in England. It took a few more decades for this practice to catch on in the United States. Now days over 2 billion Christmas cards are sent each year through the mail, and around 500 million e-cards are sent, by the way 61% of all cards purchased are Christmas cards! Who knew?






I personally love "snail-mail" and enjoy each and every card that I get. I can remember as a child my parents getting what seemed like hundreds of cards, it was probably more like 30, and taping them on the door and around the frame so that we could see them all. Back then everyone sent cards, as it was often the only time of the year to catch up with far-flung family and friends. 






Do you send Christmas cards? What sort do you send? A beautiful handpicked card? A photo card or a family letter? 

While I would like to say that Christmas cards are the first thing on my Christmas to-do list I would be lying. I actually put them last on my list so that I can take my time, relax and write a note with each card instead of just signing my name. Often times I find a card with a snowmen or a beautiful scene, but this year I decided to go in a different direction and have a card made of my kids, fur kids that is.  I had no idea it was so easy, I simply went to Tiny Prints uploaded a photo of my pups Pisa and Paris and viola, a family photo card.


Christmas Photo Card 2016 Tiny Prints


For many years, before the internet, email, Facebook and modern technology, my family lived away from the rest of my relatives and our only communication was a Sunday call and "snail mail." To say that we lived for letters, cards and packages would be an understatement. Some of my fondest memories and moments are the cards and letters sent to me when I lived away but none as much as the cards and letters that held photos of the "goings on" in the family.




I am not sure when the photo card was invented but I love it because I can see all of my friends and family, that live all over the world, in a beautifully captured or perhaps even an un-staged, everyday moment. For that one frame I am a part of their world no matter where in the world we live.

For many years, before the internet, email, Facebook and modern technology, my family lived far away from the rest of my relatives and our only communication was a Sunday call and "snail mail." To this day day my favorite for of communication and one of my favorite parts about Christmas is the cards, letters and photos.


Family Christmas 2016

What about you? Do you still send cards, letters and photos for the the holidays or have you switched to e-cards?

Do you still receive a lot of cards? Do you enjoy them? What are your favorites? And because I am nosy, do tell, do you have any favorite memories of letters and cards from Christmas past?





I have finished my baking, wrapping, and shipping and today I will be mailing my cards. Now I can relax.

Have a great day!




PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for a link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.comendless.commyhabit.comsmallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com








3 comments:

  1. I love good old fashioned Christmas cards, it's such a treat to receive them in the mail and something of a rarity these days which makes them even more special. I do indeed send them to nearest and dearest. Hope you have a lovely Merry and peaceful Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Christmas cards, although I have to confess I am not always great about getting mine out in a timely fashion. I prefer to send photo cards but I have not been able to get a good pic of my kids for a couple of years. Sending YOU Christmas hugs!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sent off a few cards to some people, and will be sending ecards to others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...