Thursday, January 26, 2017

Just Curious...Are You Tired of the Negativity in the World?



Good morning! How are you? Frankly, I am overwhelmed by the vitriolic and negativity that seemed to envelop not only the US but the world in the last few years.






I am tired of the negativity that has bombarded our country on every social media platform, every news station and news platform for the last 18 months, but mostly the last 10 days. 






We live in a crazy world, and these are uncertain times. I know that everyone wants to blame the current president for this but lets stop and think for a minute.







Here are a few facts.

We live in a world where it is commonplace to rape women. In 2014 there were 37,000 reported cases, in India, keep in mind that many cases go unreported because the women will be ostracized or even killed if they report it. Every 2 minutes in India a crime is committed against a woman.

We live in a world where gay men are thrown off the rooftops by terrorists. 

We live in a world where little kids are made to blow themselves up all in the name of a cause or religion. 

We live in a world where a girl and her young friends were shot in the head because they wanted an education. Thankfully Malala Yousafzai survived and is doing what she can to further her cause, that all kids deserve an education, especially girls. If you would like to learn more about her, CLICK HERE.

We live in a world where it is "OK" for adults to make fun of a 10 year old boy, call him a future serial killer, to speculate if he is "retarded" or Autistic, just because you do not like his dad?

We live in a world where we have the ability to protest and have free speech. But my question to you is why does that now give us the "right" to destroy peoples stores, cars, shops and businesses, to run off with the stock from these businesses and to take away the livelihood of the people who work there?

We live in a world where it seems to be acceptable that 762 people were killed this year in Chicago and 4, 368 people were shot!

We live in a world where 2800 people lost their jobs because they were made to create duplicate bank accounts to make their bank look more profitable, then said bank charged the customers fees, ruined and their credit. The woman who came up with this plan did not get fired, she will make 145 million dollars, her boss, the CEO was in line for a $30 million dollar golden parachute. Thank God that did not happen. Where is the outrage for the 2800 people who lost their jobs?






We live in a world where intelligent people have completely lost their mind over the election. Educated people are now spewing violence, hate and crazy retoric on every type of social media they use and cutting off their family and friends if they do not share their opinions. People are accosting people on the street for their choice of clothing. 

You are not me, I am not you. You do not know my life, my stories, my struggles.  I do not know yours. I am a free thinker, as are you. We are allowed to have different opinions that have been shaped by our upbringing, our lives, experiences, etc. We are not clones or automaton's. Why would we want to be?






Why do we seem to suddenly live in a world where if I do not share your opinion, you belittle me and discount my opinion? I am referring here not just to the election but so many social issues and problems. 

I don't care who you voted for and I hope you don't care who I voted for. I hope that if you are a friend or family member that I am worth more than what you believe my beliefs are.






If your candidate didn't win get out and do something about it, don't just sit and whine and bully people. 

For instance if you are passionate about arts and education and don't want to funding cut then figure out a way to help. I have a friend who is an art teacher, her district cannot afford any field trips, so she and her students make items and sell them to earn the money. Obviously this is a small time solution, but guess what, her students go on 5 trips a year.






One person can make a difference in the world, especially in their little world.

The phenomenal March on Washington on Sunday, which spilled over into a world wide call for action was a start, but it will not accomplish anything if we do not follow through with more, much more. We all need to do our part to fight for change. 

There is always something that you can do to make a change, stand up for what you believe, get out there and do something, anything! But don't spew negative, violent and ridiculous comments. Offer a solution instead of being part of the problem.





What do you think? Do you see too much negativity in the world lately? Are you tired of it?

Do you support a cause that you would like us to know about or have some information that we might find interesting about making a change and a difference in the world?

Thank you for reading and participating. It has been so nice to have a dialog with people that care about little things and big things, trivial things and important things. I appreciate your time reading and responding.


Image Maria Shriver



On that note I think this piece written by Sister Joan Chittister and posted on Maria Shrivers webpage is fabulous and offers us all something to think about. 

Have a great day!


P.S. I am putting myself out here on a ledge asking for opinions, and speaking my mind, but if you are going to be nasty, crazy and call me names, please don't comment. 




16 comments:

  1. All people of goodwill are sharing your concerns. I'm not sure how we can effect change except by entering the political arena. Those who can, should, and those who can't should work to support them. In the stepping up category let's put the news media, who, I think, have gone completely off the rails. Mr Trump's demeanor is certainly of concern, even alarming, but arguing with him about numbers on the Mall is an infantile response to a complex situation. Reporters and media owners need to reaquaint themselves with well researched, impartial, reasoned and articulate reporting. To not do so would be a catastrophic failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beyond disgusted with it all. Personally, I agree with you. I don't care who you voted for as everyone has their own personal reasons for voting for one particular candidate over another. In my opinion, both candidates were equally flawed. I voted for the one candidate who I thought would do the most for me. I'm sorry if that seems selfish, but there it is. I don't apologize for it. I've seen folks being disowned, unfriended, and called every name in the book. I really wonder if there was any love or friendship there to begin with it. I think not. I know some people see this election as the good guys vs the bad guys... There's a mentality of "Either you're with us or against us." They need to grow up. I hate to break it to them but the world rarely operates in black and white, but rather varying shades of gray. I'm turning off the news for as long as it takes to settle down. I can't stomach it anymore. God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliantly and compassionately written. My only sister hasn't spoken to me since before Thanksgiving after she knew who I voted for. Left messages and no reply. This has been a tremendous challenge for me. I have feelings all over the board, very difficult. Long ago expressions have flown out the door. Do unto others, speak with out judgement, let's come together. Etc. I am so sad about the division and hope and pray we can get through This! Thanks again for your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you 100%. In fact that first quote about vulnerability is what I needed to hear this morning as I go into one of four of my middle school classes today. It's not the easiest bunch of kids, but all your quotes seem to be armor for me today as I go in to do not only a job, but to engage in an opportunity to LEARN myself....if they don't or won't learn, at least I will. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES we have A LOT of NEGATIVITY!
    There are A LOT Of PROBLEMS in the world TODAY!
    We hope those in POWER can FIX a few...............GULP.
    We do our share as women and mothers..............we are a breed that ALWAYS HELP and say POSITIVE things to encourage POSITIVE moments for our children.
    I have STOPPED READING THE NEWS............for the moment as it is ALL BAD.What happened to reporting GOOD DEEDS and HAPPY STORIES.............?IT's like TV............in my youth it was FAMILY stories or BOY with DOG teaching morals and manners........NOW they all have violence and GUNS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post. Thank you. I've been feeling defeated and disgusted by the the hoopla, negativity, and just plain meaness both before and after the election. Maybe we can't save the world, but we can do something... no matter how small. I think we have to each find that "something" that works for us. Mother Teresa once said "Man was not meant to do great things, just little things with great love". I like that. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't watched television news in some time. I find that reading the newspapers offers a certain degree of distance that works better for me.

    I will say as an outsider looking in that I was profoundly disappointed- I'd say more than disappointed, but I'll leave it at that.

    There are two rays of hope: first, America has survived far worse than the current administration. And second, the current administration may serve at least one purpose- as an object lesson to never again vote for someone like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo!!! First sensible, non-partisan thing I've read in the last few months!! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the thoughtful post. I have been so disheartened by our current state of affairs. There doesn't seem to be any "civil discourse". A little respect would greatly improve the atmosphere. News media harp on minutiae and only report what justifies their stance. This is where most obtain their "facts"? Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully said, Elizabeth! We ALL need to be kind to one another and the country/world would be a MUCH better place. Hugs to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully said-thank you. It's shocking that those who BELIEVE they are the most TOLERANT of people are the ones behaving negatively, and nastily, to those who don't share the same opinion they have. Compared to the other countries mentioned at the top of the post, every single American has a whole lot to be grateful for, no matter what your political opinions are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with you. The world has suddenly gone crazy on many scores. Sometimes I wish there was no social media, but then I'm a blogger, so what can I say? But as a blogger, I do know all about hateful and angry comments, which I abhor. I would never dream of leaving a nasty comment on anyone's blog. Where did etiquette go?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Elizabeth, Thank you... Thank you... Thank you for this timely and well articulated post. The last eighteen months of nastiness have left me paralyzed and empty of words. The last few weeks of hateful spewing (on both sides) have left me heartbroken. We are at the point when we as a group should be looking of ways to come together, not create a greater divide. So to answer your question, yes I am exhausted and saddened by the current temper of my country. With this said, I have handed it to God... I do believe he has this! Hugs, and again thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth I really love your thought-provoking series here, but do you know something? I hesitated to answer this one. Partially because of all the intensity around this past election…but heck, here it goes. First let me say that I am one of those nerdy, idealistic women who tapes all the Sunday political shows so I can hear both sides. Meet the Press. Sunday Morning with Fox News Chris Wallace. Face the Nation and George Stephanopoulos. I also listen to Charlie Rose interviews. I read Bloomberg News and Wall Street Journal, scan the editorial pages of major newspapers, and I listened to issue-related debates on Potus Radio….all in an effort to be informed. Do I have my own views? Absolutely, but I veer away from the notorious channels that are heavily geared toward right or left because their slant is fairly obvious to me, but that’s ok. I’m not mistrusting of mainstream journalists at all, I just believe it’s my job to shift through the news to get the unbiased truth.
    And this is what I did during this past election season.
    Having said all this, I will admit that these days—I’m with you. I’ve also retreated from the news period. Truthfully, I've never felt so sad. I won't go into the weeds, but I will say that as I read over your descriptions of outrageous behaviors popping up everywhere, I didn't see one that you missed.
    That woman who shamefully made fun of Trump's little boy? Yes, it made me shake my head in disgust too, and wonder if basic civility is now dead. But you know what? So did the actions of the new president when he stood up in front of a microphone and mocked a developmentally disabled man. When I watched that live, I literally felt revulsion.
    You see, I believe it starts at the top. Just like in families, the head of the nation sets a certain tone for acceptable behaviors and standards of decorum and god I was hoping I judged him wrong. But every step of the way he continues to let his petty and vindictive side show itself to anyone who steps on his ego. It’s the opposite of civility and graciousness, traits that I believe should be in our white house.
    For me, as an independent, I don’t see it as partisan. I see it as an old-fashioned belief in integrity.
    Do I want to have more money in my pocket? Sure. But I guess I value Truth more than voting with my pocket book. Do I want to pay less taxes? Absolutely. But not if it means turning my head and ignoring vulgarity and outrageous sexist comments (grabbing women's pu---, calling women fat etc-the list goes on) from a person who is representing our nation to the world. I don’t judge anyone for their views, this is simply the way it is with me.
    And now we’re having to deal with a new frightening reality of “alternative facts” which by-the-way leads to alternative truths. Geez. I thought we called those lies when we were in grade school. Sigh. (I can’t overlook the hypocrisy over all those who couldn’t vote for Hillary because of her lies.) Anyway. This is a long winded way of saying that the good thing that’s happened is that I’ve put my big toe out there and have begun to get more politically involved in our community as you suggest. I agree. There’s nothing that feels better than trading action for depression hahaha. It’s a much better feeling. Sorry to go on so ridiculously long, I guess this is what happens when you write a great post. Hugs, dear friend
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did not vote for the person currently running our office, but I was willing to give him a chance. I completely agree with Leslie Harris {thank you for being so comprehensive so I don't have to} on each of her points. I also agree that the leader of our country should be setting an example and participate in the conversation rather than tweeting snide threats in the dark of night.

    I am giving him a chance. But how do you feel about, as one example, the fact that the WALL he has chanted about throughout the election will, in fact not be paid for by our neighbors and will now cost us billions of dollars? Even with the flimsy tax structure notion, we are still paying in the end.

    To me, in any relationship TRUST is most important, and though I am trying to give him a chance, I find my level of trust is being erroded on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A much needed post, thought provoking, beautifully written. I believe we all need to be kinder to each other, pay it forward. Love your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...