Thursday, February 16, 2017

Just Curious...What did you do for Valentine's Day?




Good morning? How are you? I hope that you are having a great week. Did you have a nice Valentine's Day? I am curious, what did you do to celebrate the day dedicated to love? 

They say 160 million cards are exchanged on Valentine's day, second only after Christmas, that could explain why people call it a "Hallmark" holiday. I personally sent and received a few cards celebrating the day, from my husband, family and friends. 






I made homemade chocolate treats and sent them to my family and little treat bags for my neighbor kids. 

Aside from that my husband and I made dinner, we shared a piece of this chocolate fudge cake which I whipped up and we watched a movie. We are not really into Valentines Day, ironic really considering that is the day we became engaged to be married. I personally believe that every day gives us an opportunity to say and show our loved ones how we feel about them, not just Valentine's day. 







I remember as a child being very nervous on Valentine's day because when I was growing up every child was not made to give every other child in their class a Valentine card.  In the school's that I attended we had little mailboxes and at the end of the day we opened them up at the Valentine's party and everyone would count their cards to see how many they received.






 Of course there were some kids that were disappointed that they did not get a card from their "crush" and there were the popular girls and boys who had so many cards they mailbox was bursting. I was in between both of these camps, some years I did not get a card from my secret crush but received cards from people I did not know had a crush on me. Young love, its confusing when you are in grade school.






I would love to hear about your day. I noticed on my Instagram feed that there were lots of chocolate, flowers and even a few diamonds given. Were you the lucky recipient of any of the above or something totally different. Did you make a special breakfast or dinner or did you go out? Did you have a sweet treat after dinner? 

Whatever you did I hope it was fun and that you were surrounded with the love of your family, friends, and community. 

Thanks for sharing your Valentine's day with us!

Have a great day!



6 comments:

  1. I got the GREATEST Valentine's gift 37 years ago when on that very day, I meet Ruben. Since then, we've had many "every days" and no celebrations, some gifts, sometimes none. This year, he had to work late, I stayed home alone and wrote poetry. But love doesn't need a special date to survive. Love calls the time and measurement of days, so my gift has no beginning or end. Happy love to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the best gift Anita. You are both blessed to have one another.

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid, I didn't get much, if any of those cards. I think that's pretty much tainted the whole idea of the day ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad. I am sorry it tainted the day for you.

      Delete
  3. Every year for the past many, I go to our local candy shop in the village and make up a goodie bag for each of my three kids, and a mixed box of chocolates for my husband. The candy shop smells wonderful of course! It is an old shop and behind the glass displays of chocolates there are wood shelves with glass jars full of the gummy sorts of candy. My boys love the sours, my daughter loves chocolate. I have fun picking out what to put in their bags. I always add a cute little wrapped chocolate ladybug for good luck! This year my husband got a box full of truffles, which are delicious. I packed up and sent away two of the bags to the appropriate colleges and saved one for my high schooler. I had the owner put her shop sticker on the bags, as a memory from home and good times. Valentines morning, I had the bag, with my homemade heart tag sitting on the breakfast table waiting for my son. It seems that even though Valentine's comes every year, the kids are surprised to see candy for them! They just don't expect it; and it's nice to see an early morning, wide grin! My two older ones called to thank me for their boxes and wish me Happy Valentines Day, my husband gave me a box of chocolates and a heart charm for my bracelet. And, as tradition, my girlfriend and I went into the village to have lunch at a little restaurant that is always festively decorated, exchanged a small gift and had wonderful conversation. In the evening, my husband and I went out for dinner at a local restaurant and had a very nice meal. It was a great day! I am very blessed to have many around me who I love and can share the day with. Many people do not celebrate the day, I know, but for those that I love; I want them to know that I am thinking of them and celebrating my love for them. Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so sweet! I love your story about the local candy shop! There is the most fabulous chocolate shop in Philadelphia called Shane confectionary and looks like the store you are describing. Old fashioned candy stores are the best.

      Your children are so lucky to have you!

      Delete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...