Thursday, March 9, 2017

Just Curious...What Do You Eat for Breakfast?



Vintage French Canning Jar, Antique Silverware and Napkins


Good morning! I read an article recently that stated breakfast is in fact not the most important meal of the day, and if you are not hungry you should not eat it because forcing yourself to will only add extra calories to your diet. Now this information will probably be erroneous as soon as the next study comes out so take it with a grain of salt. But it got me thinking about eating habits and breakfast in general. 
I have never been a breakfast eater, when I was growing up,  I ate a bowl of Cheerios, Rice Krispies, or Corn Flakes for breakfast but only because my parents made me. On the weekends my dad would make us pancakes or waffles which I loved. But if we were on vacation I would always order spaghetti for breakfast. Apparently I was a carb lover from the time I was born!

As a child the "chocolate rice"diet was all the rage and my grandmother would eat rice with cocoa powder and artificial sweetener. I could not wait to grow up so that I could eat it too! I will tell you though that my version is not low cal. 





As I grew older I wouldn't eat anything for breakfast, because I simply wasn't hungry. If I did eat breakfast I found that I would then just eat all day long. Instead I would have a cup of hot chocolate and then eat something later in the day.


Raspberrries in Johnson Brothers Blue Willow


A couple of years ago my hair started to fall out and my nails got very brittle so on the orders of my doctor I amped up my protein intake. I now have scrambled eggs, or hard boiled eggs and avocado on sprouted grain toast. Other times I make a breakfast sandwich with swiss cheese and an egg.



Pecan Rolls

I would love to eat donuts for breakfast but that is probably not the most healthy choice.

I am trying to branch out. So I am curious, what do you eat for breakfast? Do you like a hot breakfast? Or are you a cold cereal fan? Do you eat oatmeal, Cream of Wheat or another hot cereal? Perhaps you are a smoothie lover, if so please share your favorite combination.Maybe you prefer fresh fruit and toast?





Thank you in advance for your breakfast tips. I am exited to learn some new and interesting meals from you guys.

Have a great day.




SaveSave

9 comments:

  1. I am never hungry in the morning and just drink coffee (a little milk, no sugar). Around mid-morning I will have a hard-boiled egg or else a bowl of oatmeal made with skim milk. No sugar, not even fruit, until mid-afternoon. I used to eat a fruit yogurt for breakfast, but then would crave something an hour or two later. Now I don't have cravings. My only snack is around 4 p.m. (un petit quatre heure or un goûter), with dinner around 7-7:30. Sometimes for my kid, I make a ham sandwich with whole wheat bread for breakfast. Protein gives a good morning start and whole-grain carbs provide energy slowly over hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always eaten breakfast and since I can remember, it's been OATMEAL! Hot and creamy, I loved eating my breakfast to get me ready for school. These days, I still eat my oats, but now I enjoy them raw with yogurt, berries, almonds and dried fruit. I will always eat breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of the chocolate rice diet! I usually have a bowl of cereal or a fruit smoothie. BORING! Have a great week, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I eat anything with a high carb load (cereal, pancakes, toast, donuts, smoothies, etc.) I am STARVING all day. However, I do need something in the morning or I feel weak.
    It used to be scrambled eggs or an omelet but I seem to have developed an allergy to both chicken and eggs! So now it is Greek Yogurt with a few tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce and a tablespoon of granola. Once in a while I will have Lox, creamed cheese and a tomato but without the bagel. Sometimes a can of V-8 juice is all I need. No coffee or tea for me, but I do like a small glass of Caffeine free, diet cola. Trying to do it the "French" way - cold with no ice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It depends on the day, depends on the time of year. Oatmeal, pancakes, or French toast are good breakfasts for cold days. I also just go with sandwiches for breakfast, scrambled eggs, or a couple of muffins if I want something light. I haven't eaten cold cereal really in years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat eggs and am not a fan of traditional breakfast food like cereal and pancakes. I rotate between three things: avocado mashed on rye toast with a little lemon juice; half of a baked sweet potato mashed with half of an over-ripe banana and a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter; oatmeal made with almond milk, a few walnuts (chopped) and a spoon of pumpkin butter. I need something to start the day because I wake up hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate those SAME CEREALS as a kid TOO!BY the way CHEERIOS are NOW gluten free!
    I never ate breakfast either.............until about 6 months ago!IT MAKES ME HUNGRY and I'm starving before noon, but now I have meds to take and it has to be with food so I eat two pieces for GF toast with a little butter or jam.......NEVER BOTH!Yogurt never a peeled to me for AM but I do like it for lunch.ONCE in A GREAT MOON I will make a poached egg on toast.......but I like to use my eggs for a dinner menu when I am feeling the NON COOKING MODE!I put them in olive oil with a garlic clove and some tomato sauce and fry them up...........WORKS WELL FOR DINNER!!!XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth, first let me say thanks for your sweet comment about the lighting for our new house. :)

    Now as for breakfast, all of my life I have eaten Raisin Bran. I love it! About 10am I'm starving and shaky though so in the past few weeks I've switched to Danon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt which is only 80 calories and 2 points on WW. It's pretty delicious. The protein does seem to be so important.

    In truth I would eat bacon, eggs, and biscuits everyday if someone would cook it for me.

    Adding you to my blog roll. Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate breakfast too Elizabeth! I only like eggs if they are doused in cheese and I don't like cereal. I too force myself to eat breakfast now. I eat yogurt, with oats, almonds and fruit most days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...